Featured Post

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Galdámez brings church planting, education experience to Grace Español

Here are two articles written by Emily Guevara ( Twitter: @TMTEmily)  on our background and on  Grace Español .   Tyler Morning Telegraph...

Friday, July 08, 2011

Life For A Life, Yet Not Equal Trade

I was thinking how often we say "my life," and found that it is pervasive. I found it very difficult to say life without using "my." I tried saying "the life" but it sounded weird.
In the United States we believe in the "American Dream," whatever it means depends on the individual. But it is rooted in the individual or individualism. We are told we can do anything, thus creating the idea that "our" life can be created or recreated to whatever we want it to be.
People, especially young people, spend all their efforts centered on "their" life. It's all that matters. To have and live a good (viz. fun) life. They are not thinking what the purpose of "their" life is, what matters is seizing the moment.
But as Christians this is not the paradign we should follow. When you come to Christ you make a trade off. Your sinful life destined to eternal perdition was rescued (redeemed) by Christ on the cross (he took your place) and at that moment your old life was no more (1 Peter 1:18-19, Romans 6:6-8). You traded it for a new one (you were made a new creation - 2 Corinthians 5:17). This new "you" does not belong to you anymore (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). You can't think of it as "your" life and you can't live for yourself or your pleasures: "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20). This life is meant to be lived in Christ and for Christ, every moment, every day till you leave this planet. And it continues in eternity in fellowship with God. (Philippians 3:7-12)
Now that's the trade. Yet, you got the better deal. By the grace of God.
So why is it so hard to live for Him?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: