Featured Post

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Galdámez brings church planting, education experience to Grace Español

Here are two articles written by Emily Guevara ( Twitter: @TMTEmily)  on our background and on  Grace Español .   Tyler Morning Telegraph...

Thursday, August 02, 2012

How I Became A Runner

In 2009 I started running. It happened by sort of accident and necessity. Here is a bit of the background.



When I was in Jr. High I ran cross-country but I wasn't good enough but I was consistent. I even
received the MVP award which I didn't attend. Most of my youth I kept active and pursued weight lifting in a class at school. After getting married I wasn't as consistent and didn't pay attention to my diet so my weight increased from 135 to 180's lbs. In 2009 I started weight lifting to see if it would help me but I just bulked up and my weight was almost 190 and and decided I had to do something else. So I tried biking. I tried biking twice a week for 30 minutes but I found it tedious. One day in June at the school I worked while waiting for Open House I decided to go out for a run. It was a 30 min. run. It was the most difficult run I've ever done. My feet felt like stones when I lifted them. But I decided I would do it again the next day after work. And the next day. And the next day. And it turned out to be something I did 6 days a week for 45 mins.

But the first few months were difficult. I ran an average of 30 mins. a day. Then came knee pain which I have never had in my life. Trying different shoes and I wearing knee braces didn't help. But I continued running. In less than 6 months I lost the pounds and the inches. My weight now is between 165-167 pounds.

Running however, has mutated from an activity to lose weight to something I do because I want to keep my body healthy, but more importantly running is a time to think and pray. They all are intertwined now. I don't compete (even though I have ran 3 marathons), nor have any desire to. I am not good enough. I don't run because I love my body either. Like everything, God has given or entrusted me, I take care of it. Yes, I still say I have to run when I don't feel like it but I know it is more than that. It is part of me. I have no intentions on stopping and joining a cross-fit redemption group or other. I had enough of that before. It would ruin what I have now. Besides it's easy to just put shorts, shirt and shoes and go. I don't need directions, I only need my two feet. Everything else comes on the way!



Material is copyright by egaldamez. Permission given torepost or reproduced without editing the content.Disclaimer: The contents of all personal web pages and blogs published are solely my responsibility. Statements made and opinions expressed on personal pages are strictly those of the author and not of any organization, church, or school.



1 comment:

Happy said...

Started following your blog. This was a good place to start! I've been wanting to start running again but with work, school and a two year old who wakes up at six or earlier, I haven't gotten to the point of waking up at five to go run! Maybe soon. Keep up the writing.