Featured Post

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Galdámez brings church planting, education experience to Grace Español

Here are two articles written by Emily Guevara ( Twitter: @TMTEmily)  on our background and on  Grace Español .   Tyler Morning Telegraph...

Friday, June 18, 2010

Disagreeing with Jesus



I don’t often disagree with Jesus. This was the case the other day when I was reading Matthew 6:25-34.  I have read this passage many times. I have heard sermons about it many times. I have read commentaries about it.  But recently God has been pointing out some things I have never seen before.  I couldn’t believe that I was disagreeing with Jesus when I came to this passage. 

In this chapter Jesus is teaching his disciples how to pray.  He also points out the danger of storing treasures on earth by hoarding material things and the evil of loving money.  Then he tells them,
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?” (NIV)

So I said to Jesus, “I don’t worry about what I have eat. I have plenty of food. I don’t worry about what I have to drink. I have plenty of water. I have that.  I don’t worry about what I will wear. I have plenty of clothes.”
I felt good. I can trust Jesus on this. But I went on, “I need…this Lord and this! And you didn’t promise that here so I can worry about it, right?”

As I read on I realized he meant more than just the basic necessities. We shouldn’t worry about anything from which our subsistence depends. He says,
“For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.” (NIV)

“Yes, Jesus I know you know them but you are taking too long to answer them.”

And he says, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (NIV)

“Ok, Lord so I should just look for those things that honor you, seek the spiritual things? And then you will give me those things as well. That’s easy for you to say because you are not in my shoes. We live in different times. You didn't need much then. It's a complex world.”

“So what you are saying is that I should just not worry period and trust you?”

I knew the answer!

No comments: