Featured Post

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Galdámez brings church planting, education experience to Grace Español

Here are two articles written by Emily Guevara ( Twitter: @TMTEmily)  on our background and on  Grace Español .   Tyler Morning Telegraph...

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Who Decides Who Lives or Dies?

I began reading the book of Jeremiah the prophet. It begins by stating the following:

"The word of the LORD came to me, saying,“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” “Alas, Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.” "(1:4-6 NIV).

God knew Jeremiah before He was in his mother's womb. He also made Him in the womb. But even before that, He already knew what Jeremiah would be, a prophet to Israel. Jeremiah calls him "Sovereign Lord."

God decided to give life to Jeremiah and decided his future not his parents. This has implications for us today. None of us have the right to decide who lives or who dies. When faced with an ethical dilemma dealing with life and/or death we choose to err on the side of life. It is not our role to decide to be God.

Here are other passages that speak about how God is responsible for creating every person.

Psalm 139:13-16 - For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret,intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance;in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me,when as yet there was none of them." (ESV)

  • Notice several things, God forms every person in its totality. It is a detailed process. God has decided all the days we will live on this Earth.

What about those people who have a handicap, isn't it better not to have them?

Exodus 4:11 - Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord?" (ESV)

  • God takes responsibility for those who are handicap. He gave them life.
We don't know why things happen, good or bad. But our response should be the same as Jeremiah's: "Sovereign Lord." He decides who lives or who dies, not us!

 

 

No comments: