Featured Post

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Galdámez brings church planting, education experience to Grace Español

Here are two articles written by Emily Guevara ( Twitter: @TMTEmily)  on our background and on  Grace Español .   Tyler Morning Telegraph...

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Listen to Him

We live in a society where we hear many voices coming from a variety of places.  With technology, we have even more.  Everywhere we go we are asked to do something.  Just watch the commercials on TV or on-line and you will see this.  They all promise you something: happiness, satisfaction, pleasure, health, peace, money, advancement, a new life, etc... Most of them, if not all, are not truthful.  They are trying to capitalize on you.
Today I read this verse:   "He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” ""(Matthew 17:5 ESV) It just resonated after reading it.  God speaks these words at what we call the transfiguration of Jesus on top of a mountain.  Only two people are present, Peter and John.  God speaks to them. Of all the things He could have said, he says, "listen to him."  Why? Jesus is the very Word (logos) of God (John 1). When He speaks, God speaks.  God didn't say this because Jesus needed to be reaffirmed.  The disciples needed to it.  They needed to understand that Jesus is the Word of Life.  Listening to him and believing his words bring life: "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life." (John 5:24 ESV)
You will hear many voices from friends, preachers, churches, commercials, the internet, but you only need to hear one voice, the voice of Jesus:  "I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, [15] just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. [16] And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. "(John 10:14-16 ESV)
Listen to Him.

No comments: